[luatex] Luatex 1.08.0 announcement

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:34:34 CEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Henri Menke <henrimenke at gmail.com> wrote:

> bump
>
> On 02/09/18 12:57, Henri Menke wrote:
> >

> > On 01/09/18 07:00, luigi scarso wrote:
> >> ==============================================================
> >> LuaTeX 1.08 2018-08-28
> >> ==============================================================
> >>

> >> (1) This release is a prelude to 1.10, the next stable iteration of
> LuaTeX
> >> after version 1.00.
> >>
> >> (2) Lua 5.3 is now considered to be default and we might use 5.4 in
> version
> >> 1.10. There are no real functional changed expected. You still need to
> >> rename
> >> the binary for 5.3!
> >>
> >> (3) Binary mode is no longer available in MPlib but it is still
> available in
> >> stand alone MetaPost. This simplifies compilation and reduces
> dependencies.
> >>
> >> (4) The dependency on Poppler for pdf image inclusion has been removed.
> We
> >> now use a small dedicated library written by Pawel Jakowski. We no
> longer
> >> need c++ compilers. We're in the process of making it behave well on all
> >> platforms. It has been tested on intel platforms.
> >
> > Hm, a C++ compiler still seems to be necessary.  The build fails without
> > one.

The luatex from svn repository
is a cut of texlive, so we have all the autotools scripts (i.e. those we
need to compile luatex,luajittex,metapost)
from TeXLive -- -and TeXLive  needs C++ . It's easy to modify the script(s)
to drop the C++ dependency for luatex,
but it has to be done in coordination with the TeXLive maintainer (very
likely it will happen for  luatex 1.09.0 expected before end of year).

Integrators of other tex distributions should find that a C++ compiler is
not needed anymore.

--
luigi