[luatex] Unicode composite characters and TrueType fonts

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Mon May 29 12:53:23 CEST 2017

Am Sun, 28 May 2017 15:14:16 +0200 schrieb Daniel Flipo:

> Both harfbuzz library in xetex and the "ligatures" option suggested by
> Ulrike for luatex disturb the hyphenation process: the
> "character+accent" are displayed as one glyph but count as two for
> \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin.

> Even if the coding "character+accent" is legal in Unicode, its usage
> seems not to be fully supported neither in xetex nor in luatex.
> Converting "character+accent" in the source file into a ready made
> character is not a big deal anyway… currently, it looks to me like the
> safest way to go.

Yes, but as there are combinations where there isn't a combining
glyph (in unicode or in the font) it would be better if luatex/xetex
handles this better. You could make a bug report
(http://tracker.luatex.org, https://sourceforge.net/p/xetex/bugs/).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/