[luatex] Combining diacritics in some fonts: "(linebreak): invalid list tail, probably missing glue"

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Wed May 10 12:48:37 CEST 2017

Am Wed, 10 May 2017 01:51:15 +0300 schrieb Nikola Lečić:

> Hi,
>
> If you compile this document twice
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainlanguage{serbian}
> \setmainfont{Old Standard}
> \begin{document}
> ко\char"0302 д
> \end{document}
>
> you should get
>
> ! error:  (linebreak): invalid list tail, probably missing glue
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> It happens only with some fonts, not with others.

I have reduced it to this plain tex example

\catcode`\@=11
\input switch.def
\input babel.def
\input luaotfload.sty

\bbl at patterns@lua{serbian}
\righthyphenmin=3
\catcode`\@=12

%\font\test={OldStandard:mode=node;script=cyrl.SRB;language=DFLT;+tlig;}
%works
\font\test={OldStandard:mode=node;script=latn;language=DFLT;+tlig;}
%fail

\test

oo^^^^0302xx

\bye

The chars are all ascii, no cyrillic involved.

I have also reduced the pattern: One can remove almost everything
from (local copies ...) of hyph-sh-latn.tex and hyph-sh-cyrl.tex. It
breaks if this pattern remains:

\patterns{
2o1
}