[luatex] recent tunenc.def fails with lualatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 6 02:13:49 CET 2017

> On Mar 5, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
> Hi Frank,
>
>> understood, but I thought that these days the majority of installations are
>> in fact single user machine installations where the "sys" part really serves
>> typically a single user.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> So my thought was that you get already a huge improvement if a "sys" update
>> is checking if the current user also has local formats and if so warns about
>> that and/or offers to update those as well
>
> How would that work if the -sys part is run as root? Should we query
> systemd/logind who is logged in? Of course, we could parse /etc/passwd
> and search for users, and if there is say less than 5 non-privileged
> users, we search in their home directories. But all this is shaky,
> prone to errors.
>
> What we already do is *if* the user running updmap-sys has files in TEXMFVAR,
> then he will get a warning:
> 	The following files have been generated as listed above,
> 	but will not be found because overriding files exist, listed below.
> 	Perhaps you have run updmap in the past, but are running updmap-sys
> 	now.  Once you run updmap the first time, you have to keep using it,
> 	or else remove the personal configuration files it creates (the ones
> 	listed below).
> This check hasn't been carried over to fmtutil by now, but I can look into
> this.
>
> But this only helps if the user owning the TL installation is also the
> actual user, but we often have root owning the installation.
>
>> but isn't it the case that if I install TL on my laptop (for all users, even
>> though I'm the only real one) that then all future updates will just update
>> the formats in the sys tree which is precisely the problem we see?
>
> Yes, updates via tlmgr will call the -sys variants, so generated files
> go into TEXMFSYSVAR.
>
>> and honestly the fact that way back I was warned that I do a local install
>> may not be something I remember by then (like the user in this thread who
>> didn't remember having produced the local format)
>
> I know I know. But most of these errors come from documentation specifying
> that
> 	you should run updmap/fmtutil
> which in fact was true long time ago, but isn't any more, also since long.
> OTOH, people reading the outdated docs will get a warning and at least
> they have to think once ...
>
> All the best
>
> Norbert
>
> --
> PREINING Norbert                               http://www.preining.info
> Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer
> GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13

Howdy,

In 2012 I wrote a document, for Mac users, that noted that changes in Shell Escape (not relevant here) and also in installing fonts that noted the difference between installing in TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFHOME and updmap-sys and updmap. It is something that has come up too regularly in the Mac community. And here we are in 2017 still living with the same, difficult to anallise, problems
Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)