[luatex] slower texlua at LuaTeX 1.0.4 (TL 2017) ?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri Jun 2 15:07:56 CEST 2017

Hi Herb,

Le 02/06/2017 à 14:51, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

>> On Jun 2, 2017, at 5:10 AM, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> $ time texlua collatz.lua 1 1000000
>> 837799
>>
>> real	0m39.053s
>> user	0m39.034s
>> sys	0m0.017s
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I'm getting
>
> $ time texlua collatz.lua 1 1000000
> 837799
>
> real	0m17.333s
> user	0m17.119s
> sys	0m0.014s
>
> using the x86_64-darwin (for macOS 10.10 and later) and TL 2017 (almost not pretest?).

ah! thanks! so there is possibly a problem indeed with x86_64-darwinlegacy

> Is there a reason you can't update to macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) and then use x86_64-darwin?

1. I absolutely dislike the smart-phone looks which were introduced at Yosemite

2. my SSD is nearly saturated and I won't engage into risky system upgrade

I can imagining updating to a more recent macOS, but won't do only to
resolve a luatex binary issue.

> PS: I get
>
> $ time lua collatz.lua 1 1000000
> 837799
>
> real	0m19.021s
> user	0m19.007s
> sys	0m0.008s
>
> with lua 5.3.4 on the same system.

OK, thanks.

I had forgotten to say that I had tested with Lua 5.2 on my system
as well (don't remember the minor minor number) and got similar result
as with Lua 5.3.3, which are a bit faster than the TL2016 texlua

I expect other mac os users will be with x86_64-darwinlegacy.
A possibly 100% slow-down of luatex is perhaps not a big deal
if it happens only in directlua code.

Best,

Jean-François