[luatex] \localleftbox, \localrightbox and \footnotes

Daniel Flipo daniel.flipo at free.fr
Thu Jul 27 19:43:00 CEST 2017

Le 27/07/2017 à 18:50, Hans Hagen a écrit :
> It's a feature .. but if you want to use trickery like \local*box your
> macro package needs to manage it properly (because only the package know
> what is intended) .. you can do:
>
> \let\normalfootnote\footnote
>
> \def\footnote#1#2%
>   {\begingroup
>    \localleftbox{}%
>    \normalfootnote{#1}{#2}%
>    \endgroup}

Yes, I can reset \localleftbox{} locally, I just wanted to be sure no
better option was available upstream.

> but even then I bet that you get local boxes in places. In fact it's an
> example of a limited useable feature (and why not more such features get
> aded to the core). In retrospect we could have removed it.

Please do not remove it! it is currently the simplest and safest way to
add French quotes at the beginning of every line in case of embedded
quotations --an old French typographic oddity ;-).

--
Daniel Flipo