[luatex] font expansion

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Thu Jul 6 01:37:38 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm resending this post from last year (19 April), as I never got an
answer, and the questions still pertain to luatex 1.0.4:

Firstly, the manual says:

| When \adjustspacing has value 2, hz optimization will be applied to
| glyphs and kerns. When the value is 3, only glyphs will be treated.
| A value smaller than 2 disables this feature.

However, what I see is:
  * a difference between \adjustspacing=0 and \adjustspacing=1,
  * a difference between \adjustspacing=1 and \adjustspacing=2,
  * no difference between \adjustspacing=2 and \adjustspacing=3
(regardless of whether the font is expanded with \expandglyphsinfont or
via the luaotfload interface).

So it seems that the former "compatibility" level 1 (same line breaks as
without expansion), which according to the manual should no longer
exist, still does; while the new level 3 does not (all the kerns are the
same as for level 2). Could somebody explain this?

Here's a test file:
----------
\hsize=6cm
\tracingoutput1
\showboxbreadth\maxdimen
\showboxdepth\maxdimen
\input luaotfload.sty
\font\x="Latin Modern Roman" at 10pt \x
%\font\x="Latin Modern Roman:expansion=default" at 10pt \x
\expandglyphsinfont\x 20 20 5 autoexpand
\def\z#1{\adjustspacing=#1 When adjustspacing has value 2,
   hz optimization will be applied to glyphs and kerns.
   When the value is 3, only glyphs will be treated.
   A value smaller than 2 disables this feature.\par}
\z0\z1\z2\z3
\bye

Secondly, I wonder about the status of the "autoexpand" qualifier to
\expandglyphsinfont. AFAICT it is silently ignored, and fonts are always
autoexpanded. Is this correct? Or would it still be possible to use
pre-expanded font instances (say, from a MM font)?

Best,
--
  Robert

--