[luatex] [texhax] Fwd: Luatex 1.0.0 announcement

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Sep 28 07:21:53 CEST 2016

> I liked Adobe's first approach, "multiple master fonts".  The MM
> font format extended Type 1 by simply replacing coordinates
> (numbers) with equations.

Adobe's support for OpenType Variations does exactly the same –
welcome back, `blend' operator!

> Though it was an elegant solution, this approach was sentenced to
> fail because one of the most important features of Type 1 fonts is
> that no fully-fledged PostScript interpreter is required for
> rendering.

This is not correct.  It's only necessary to support `blend' and some
additional, minor stuff – no full PS interpreter needed.

Irrespective of OpenType Variations, I expect that there will soon be
fonts using Adobe's new `CFF2' font format (which is essentially a
subset of `CFF' plus support for `blend'), so luatex should probably
start with this.

    Werner