[luatex] Intermediate tree representation of the document

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Nov 23 16:33:05 CET 2016

Le 23/11/2016 à 13:31, Frank Mittelbach a écrit :
> Am 23.11.16 um 13:21 schrieb Martin Schröder:
>>> I'm looking for the way to get a document tree representation with
>>> preserving of all section-subsection-paragraph-references hierarchy. Is
>>> luatex able to retrieve such hierarchy from the tex-source and export it as
>>
>> If your document uses LaTeX: no.
>
> and what ends up in \jobname.out if hyperref is used?

what do you mean by "references" in this context?

if the document uses LaTeX,
the sectioning is represented in the .toc file
(but: this excludes non-numbered sections, a priori)
and  you can get it from a parsing of the .toc file
even without lua tools

from etoc manual at end of section 28. The TOC as a TikZ mind map

> An interesting alternative is to use etoc rather to convert the entire TOC into a TikZ
> tree (perhaps excluding some parts) and print it out to a file from which it can be recovered
> and manipulated directly
> Once the \treetok has
> been computed by etoc... this code
> snippet will write it out to file with extension .toctree :
>    \newwrite\TOCasTree
>    \immediate\openout\TOCasTree=\jobname.toctree
>    \immediate\write\TOCasTree{\the\treetok}%
> The author can then copy it from there and customize it manually to get a suitable tikz
> picture. See also
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/232792
> for an elaboration of this.

of course I expect this to be much more naive than what
you are hinting at (hence my question about "references")

Jean-François