[luatex] whatsit generation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 11 23:57:35 CEST 2016

On 5/10/2016 2:45 PM, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> can somebody help with a (probably) trivial question?
>
> I would like to generate a user-defined whatsit (8,44) with type = table
> (116)
>
> but my idea what "116 a Lua token list in Lua table form" means seems to
> be wrong. I thought something like
>
>   local n = node.new ( 8, 44 )  %-- whatsit subtype = user-defined
>   n.user_id  = 5
>   n.type  = 116
>   n.value = {ht = 100 , dp = 10}
>
> should work, but that doesn't seem to be right, at least n.value.ht is
> "nil" afterwards

in current luatex user defined nodes have subtype 8

116 refers to tables that contain a token list (a table of triplets
starting with a ref count dummy) which is probably not that useful

as i was sure that at some point we added a lua table type too i checked
the manual and found out that we don't actually mantion it there

the magic type number is 108

(i'll update the manual)