[luatex] MWE now failing with recent TeX Live update

Luis Rivera jlrn77 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:01:09 CET 2016

On 16 March 2016 at 11:02, Javier Bezos <jbezosl at gmail.com> wrote:
> And something I'd like to point out:
>
>> Babel at all cost; how do think I should explain to them that they
>> should load it after all?
>

> As I said, the `base' option in babel just preloads the
> patterns. That's all -- it loads them and exits immediately.
> The babel core is not loaded at all (well, except the parts
> which are, unfortunately, preloaded when the format is built).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

1. the babel core (the language hyphenation pattern switching
mechanism) is *not* _unfortunately_ loaded with babel: it is part of
the core functionality of a multilingual LaTeX.

2. Does your remark imply that you ask the user to call _both_ babel
(babel.sty, not only the kernel part, even if but with one option)
_and_ polyglossia (sty, plus language options), even though you don't
mean to use babel? Isn't that first call completely redundant?

Confused,

Luis Rivera