[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:30:12 CEST 2016

On Friday 24 June 2016 16:03:11 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 6/24/2016 2:18 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:

> >> then you can just load the font (given that the afm matches the
> >> pfb)
> >
> > AFM file contains just font metrics, right? Why is TFM file (which
> > contains also metrics) usable? What I trying understand is where is
> > the problem as until now TFM + PFB was enough...
>
> because afm/pfb files contain info about what characters we have
> while the tfm file only has metrics (in which case one also needs to
> interpret the encoding vector)

Do you have some link about description of AFM and TFM files?

IIRC, PFB file has vector of glyph names. So from this information can
be generated encoding font table as for each glyph name can be assigned
unicode character. And this could work for any Type 1 font in PFB format
Or I'm missing something?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com