[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jun 25 02:06:53 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-24 at 10:06:57 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

 > On 6/24/2016 8:36 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
 >> (I would argue that the best way forward in the long run would be to
 >> eventually add the missing features to LM.)
 >
 > We had that discussion ... differences in positioning of some accents
 > between aer, plr, csr, vnr, anyr fonts (plus german hackery to get
 > umlauts lower) and the principles behind lm / gyre was to get a uniform
 > consistent font. There have been discussions at BT about these issues
 > and representatives of countries present in the end agreed that it's
 > also a matter of getting accustomed to.

I can at least confirm that the German and Vietnamese accents are
placed correctly now in LM.

However, in the first beta releases of LM the Vietnamese accents were
placed incorrectly and later the correct positions of accents were
derived from the fonts created by Thành.

If there is an acute or grave accent above another accent, it's
usually moved to the right, sometimes an acute accent is moved to the
left.

I've spent two months in Vietnam and I can assure you that these
horizontal movements are a must. It's neiter a matter of taste nor a
matter of getting accustomed to.

As far as I understand, the problem with Czech is related to kerning
pairs.  I suppose that it's no big deal to add some kerning pairs,
especially if only Czech is concerned.

If people report that they have to use csr instead of LM because LM
doesn't support Czech properly, I strongly recommend to contact the
authors of LM.  Not everything is a matter of taste.

In short: I fully agree with Mojca.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25