[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 24 10:06:57 CEST 2016

On 6/24/2016 8:36 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 24 June 2016 at 01:59, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> Keep in mind that when you manage to use the old font
>> encoding somehow, you also have to deal with patterns files in that
>> encoding.
>
> No; if he manages to create a virtual font from Latin 2-encoded Type
> 1, then Unicode hyphenation patterns should work just fine. Or am I
> missing something?

sure, and quite trivial to make, but that is not an out-of-the-box
solution (when gyre showed up i removed such code from context)

>> Of course you can also make an active character mapping (as you mentioned
>> before) which might be enough for your case.
>
> That one will however break hyphenation (unless the hyphenation
> patterns are loaded as Latin 2).

which makes sense in such a workflow ... probably all fonts are in that
encoding then anyway

> (I would argue that the best way forward in the long run would be to
> eventually add the missing features to LM.)

We had that discussion ... differences in positioning of some accents
between aer, plr, csr, vnr, anyr fonts (plus german hackery to get
umlauts lower) and the principles behind lm / gyre was to get a uniform
consistent font. There have been discussions at BT about these issues
and representatives of countries present in the end agreed that it's
also a matter of getting accustomed to.