[luatex] luatex - pdfmapline database

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:44:15 CEST 2016

On Monday 18 July 2016 12:17:31 you wrote:
> On 7/18/2016 11:13 AM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> >>
> >> you can check if there is a pfb file on the system

> >> how many fonts are you taking about ...
> >
> > I'm talking about support for also other 8bit fonts...
>
> most 8 bit fonts have afm files so nothing special is needed then

Yes, when AFM files are available it is not needed. But this is in case
when AFM files does not exists at all in system. TeXLive has more such
fonts. And also AFM files are not available for MetaFont fonts.

I'm thinking about general font loader as layer which can load all fonts
as pdftex... Thanks to your changes to font loader, it is possible to
load also pfb type1 fonts and pk bitmap fonts which do not have AFM
files. But loading pfb fonts is chatty, needs to specify it in long
format (file:...) and I would like to use it in short way \font\f=name.
Map file can be used to detect if encoding vector file is needed
(otherwise "auto"), so short way could be possible to implement.

And same for pk bitmap fonts, but here it is needed to specify encoding
vector. I can imagine that short way \font\f=name could work too, maybe
specifying encoding vector in some global lua variable or tex register.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com