[luatex] Prevent stop when tiff file loads

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 23 11:15:24 CET 2016

On 1/23/2016 3:30 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2016-01-23 at 01:48:01 +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>   >> You can use \type {pdf.setignoreunknownimages(1)}
>
>   > on trunk now.
>
> Does pdf.setignoreunknownimages really expects a number as an argument
> instead of a boolean?  Or is pdf.setignoreunknownimages(2) meaningful?

it reflects the setting at the tex level and those are numbers (and who
knows if at some point 2 will used too)

> And is the substring "set" really necessary in the name?  Why not
> simply pdf.ignoreunknownimages?

that would indicate a variable i.e. pdf.ignoreunknownimages = 1 and we
deliberately use setters/getters instead of virtual keys (more flexible)

> Sure, it's common practice in the TeX world to choose the longest name
> one can imagine (like \pdfoptionpdfminorversion), choose a more

Wasn't that one gone for ages? (And i think that particular long names
was chosen in order to avoid some conflicts with something i forgot by
now ... i always aliased it to the original shorter name.)

> reasonable name in the next release, preserve the old stuff somehow in
> order to prevent breaking existing documents, and so on.  What a mess!

so you like pdf.iui more .. forget about it, verbose names is what you
get (and some currently short ones might even get verbose) .. these
names are the same as at the tex end (otherwise we need to document two
sets of variables)

> Isn't it possible to use reasonable names from the beginning?

like \pdfiui and so ... settings like this are normally done one and
probably in a macro package so no user ever sees them (or knows about them)

and as we're taking tex / lua, nothing prevents you or a macro package
to provide short names like

pdf.iui = pdf.setignoreunknownimages

pdf.ignoreunknownimages = pdf.setignoreunknownimages

or whatever suits you best

Hans

ps. Lucky you that we don't use dutch or german in the interface ...
much longer words then.  You'd be better off with french.