[luatex] luatex \write-1

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Tue Apr 26 01:30:16 CEST 2016

Hi,

For me, luatex's logging behaviour is wrong. With the following:

\input luaotfload.sty
\font\x="Vollkorn:script=latn"
\immediate\write-1{SOME INFO}
\x A B
\bye

I get on the console:

---------
xmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otl/vollkorn-regular.luc)SOME INFO
error:
...xmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/fontloader-2016-04-21.lua:13129:
attempt to index upvalue 'parameters' (a nil value)
.
\bye ->\par
             \vfill \supereject \end
l.5 \bye
---------

while in the log file only:

---------
retest/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otl/vollkorn-regular.luc).
\bye ->\par
             \vfill \supereject \end
l.5 \bye
---------

The problem is not about the error itself (which I've already reported
elsewhere), but rather about the behaviour of \write and error reporting:
  * \write-1 should only be an info, written into the log file but not
on the console (it's what LaTeX's \PackageInfo uses); with luatex it's
the other way around. Also, there's no line break before.
  * the error is reported only on the console, not in the log, while it
should be written to both.

(This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016)  (format=luatex
2016.4.24), on Mac OS X.)

Best,
--
  Robert