[luatex] math spacing and accents

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Apr 21 14:12:47 CEST 2016

On 4/21/2016 1:54 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:25:50 +0200 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> just fixed in latest beta.
>
> Does that mean context beta (fontloader) or luatex beta (engine)?

fwiw

in the engine (context used to have lots of compensations for
inconsistencies for italic corrections between the internals and fonts
but it got to hard to catch all of this which is why the internals of
the math machinery now more strictly distinguish between traditional and
new fonts)

there is a difference in italic correction in old school math (fonts)
and opentype and for this an extra check had to be added for the
opentype math code path (in traditional math italics always get appended
but removed selectively while in opentype math italic correction is only
applied selectively) .. recent versions of luatex got away from some
heuristics and split code between font technology

(in that sense, opentype math will never be completely compatible with
traditional tex math fonts but of course we try to catch border cases
best we can)