[luatex] default font loader for define_font callback

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 30 16:54:01 CET 2015

On 11/30/2015 2:19 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:50:22 +0100 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>
>> The curious thing is that not all kern values are affected. I played
>> a bit around also with latex examples (and luaotfload) and got a
>> different value only for va but not for VA or Va:
>
> I think I found the reason why only va is affected. The relevant
> part of the ligtable looks like this:
>

>    (STOP)
>     (LABEL C k)
>     (LABEL C v)
>     (KRN C a R -0.054398) %<--
>     (LABEL C w)
>     (KRN C e R -0.027199)
>     (KRN C a R -0.027199) %<--
>     (KRN C o R -0.027199)
>     (KRN C c R -0.027199)
>   (STOP)
>
> As one can see it this section there are two settings for char a -
> the one for va and the other for wa. And luatex picks up the second
> value. If one inserts a (STOP) or remove the second (KRN C a R
> -0.027199) the problem is gone.
>
> The question is if this is a luatex bug or if luatex does reveal a
> bug in the ligtable of cmr12 ;-).

It looks like the first has to win which indeed happens in kern lookups.
So, now we do the same in the tolua interface. A patched version now gives

v={
  ["depth"]=0,
  ["height"]=338603,
  ["italic"]=10695,
  ["kerns"]={
   [97]=-42780,
   [99]=-21390,
   [101]=-21390,
   [111]=-21390,
  },
  ["width"]=406410,
}

w={
  ["depth"]=0,
  ["height"]=338603,
  ["italic"]=10695,
  ["kerns"]={
   [97]=-21390,
   [99]=-21390,
   [101]=-21390,
   [111]=-21390,
  },
  ["width"]=556140,
}

of course one can wonder if va and wa need a different kern and

Taco & Hans