[luatex] Debugging the error 'Expected a string for (S), not: nil'

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Nov 22 21:44:23 CET 2015

I am getting closer, but I don't know how to fix it:

Expected a string for (S), not: nil

is written to the terminal when "pdftex.map" is searched for with the find_map_file callback. Since I don't have a map file, I return nil (the documentation tells me: »You have to return nil if the file cannot be found.«)

When I create an empty file 'pdftex.map', everything is fine, but I am not too keen to provide empty files to the user.

Patrick

(BTW: all LuaTeX 0.85 / Mac OS X 10.11.1)