[luatex] Using a Lua C .so module with LuaLaTeX

Deepak Jois deepak.jois at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:05:04 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 8:09 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:
> good. To be sure:
> if you
> 1) comment these lines
> if [ "$STRIP_LUATEX" = "FALSE" ]
>  then
>      export CFLAGS
>      export CXXFLAGS
> fi
> and
> 2) modify
> STRIP=strip
> in
> STRIP=strip -u -r
>
> and run build.sh
> then the osx binary loads the dso .

I had to change
STRIP=strip
STRIP="strip -u -r"
(note the quotes)

Once I do this, and compile normally (ie just running ./build.sh
without any options), it does load the .so file successfully.

$> ./build.sh
…<snip>

$> du -sh build/texk/web2c/luatex
8.2M    build/texk/web2c/luatex

$> ~/code/personal/luatex/v-0.80/trunk/build/texk/web2c/luatex
--luaonly test.lua
Deepak

> Are you sure that in this case  the size is 12938864 bytes ?
> I dont see why in linux we have 8MByte and in osx 13MByte .

In which case?

As you can see above, once I made the changes you asked, the binary
size went down to 8.2M on my system, which seems consistent with how
it is on Linux.

The 12938864 bytes is the size _before_ we commented out those lines,
used the --nostrip option to build and then manually stripped the
binary using strip -u -r.

I am not sure, but I suspect what was happening was that those lines
were exporting empty CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS, thus overriding any locally
set values in the other build scripts in the subfolders. The build
scripts that ran after that were picking up those values instead of
using their own CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS, which may have had some
optimisations.

Deepak