[luatex] Using a Lua C .so module with LuaLaTeX

Deepak Jois deepak.jois at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:13:53 CET 2015

To narrow down the problem, I used the --luaonly option to run a test
lua file with luatex that loads the library. When I run:

luatex --luaonly test.lua

It gives me the error: Symbol not found: _luaL_setfuncs

Then, I built a fresh luatex binary from SVN using --nostrip option,
and ran the same thing, and it works fine.

I then tried to copy the freshly built luatex binary into TeXLive, and
ran fmtutil --all, but it gave me an error saying \pdfoutput was an
undefined control sequence.

So now I am wondering:

1. Why does the luatex binary built from SVN with --nostrip work, and
the luatex binary bundled with TeXLive does not work when using in
--luaonly mode. Is that intentional? On StackExchange[1] there are
people on Linux who report that it working fine with TeXLive 2015 as
well. What is different about Mac OS X?

2. How can I use the freshly built luatex binary with TeXLive 2015. Is
there anything else I need to do before I run fmtutil --all so that
this "undefined control sequence \pdfoutput" will go away.

Thank you
Deepak

[1]: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/278329/symbol-not-found-error-when-using-lua-c-so-module-with-lualatex