[luatex] Segfault with null argument to -output-comment

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at googlemail.com
Sun May 24 09:11:02 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-23 at 13:04:39 +0200, luigi scarso wrote:

 > > Hm.
 >
 > $ luatex --fmt=luatex-plain --foo  "test.tex"
 > luatex: unrecognized option '--foo'
 > This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.1 experimental
 >  \write18 enabled.
 > (./test.tex
 > :
 > :
 >

 > $ luatex --fmt=luatex-plain --lua=test.lua  --foo  "test.tex"
 > This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.1 experimental
 >  \write18 enabled.
 > (./test.tex
 > :
 > :
 > (test.lua is empty)
 >
 > Perhaps we should explain this in the manual,

This looks like bug which will disappear when the warning message is
removed.

 > but in general I think it's not a good idea to suppress the message
 > "unrecognized option" .

You obviously have optional arguments in mind which are defined in
LuaTeX, the program.  In this case warnings were probably acceptable.
But what I have in mind is to support additional options within a .tex
file and evaluate the arg table in order to determine their content.

It's annoying if luatex complains that it's not aware of the optional
arguments I defined myself.  But when luatex reads the command-line,
it doesn't know how people evaluate Lua's arg table later.  Therefore
the only reasonable solution is to avoid the warning message.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de