[luatex] Segfault with null argument to -output-comment

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Sat May 23 13:04:39 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 5/22/2015 9:46 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>> On 2015-05-22 at 12:21:59 +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>>   > A patch in trunk,
>>   > revision 5253.
>>
>> Hi Luigi,
>> there is another issue regarding command line arguments.  It's a minor
>> issue but sometimes annoying.  AFAIK Knuth's TeX had no optional
>> arguments but some implementations added some.  These implementations
>> also issued a warning message
>>
>>    [*]tex: unrecognized option '-foo'
>>
>> if they encounter an argument beginning with a minus sign which they
>> are not aware of.
>>
>> This was acceptable in the past, at least for all the other engines
>> though I must admit that it was sometimes annoying that I had to tell
>> TeX that *my* options begin with '+' and had to invoke TeX by a
>> wrapper script which replaces all '-' signs with '+' in advance.
>> Well, I think that this behavior is acceptable because reading command
>> line arguments from a TeX file is an ugly hack anyway and I'm probably
>> the only one doing such nasty things.
>>
>> However, in LuaTeX it's desirable to suppress the warning message
>> because the command line (arg) is accessible by Lua code inside the
>> TeX file.  Thus it should be possible to make use of it without beeing
>> bothered or even confused by this message.
>>

> indeed
>
>  I suppose that the warning message is not intended in LuaTeX because
>> it had been removed already from former releases but came back in
>> TL-2014, if I remember correctly.  Maybe it comes from one of the
>> Web2C/Kpathsea .ch files or so and just had been overlooked in recent
>> releases.
>>
>> Luigi, could you look into it, please?  Or discuss it with Taco, Hans,
>> and Hartmut if you are unsure?  IMO the message is confusing if
>> additional arguments are processed with Lua code later.
>>

> indeed there should be no warning, i made a tracker
>
> Hm.

$ luatex --fmt=luatex-plain --foo  "test.tex"
luatex: unrecognized option '--foo'
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.1 experimental
 \write18 enabled.
(./test.tex
:
:

$ luatex --fmt=luatex-plain --lua=test.lua  --foo  "test.tex"
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.1 experimental
 \write18 enabled.
(./test.tex
:
:
(test.lua is empty)

Perhaps we should explain this in the manual,
but in general I think it's not a good idea to suppress the message
"unrecognized option" .

--
luigi