[luatex] Finding user-specific Lua binary packages

Dirk Laurie dirk.laurie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:31:06 CET 2015

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The manual says they are looked for in
>>
>>     CLUAINPUTS=.:$SELFAUTOLOC/lib/{$progname,$engine,}/lua//
>>
>> but this path seems not to provide for $HOME/texmf. I could put
>> a symbolic link to the .so files in `.` every time, but that really
>> defeats the purpose of kpse.
>
> here
> $ kpsewhere core.so
> /opt/luatex/standalone-mkiv-new/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/lib/luatex/lua/swiglib/qpdf/5.0.1/core.so

This tells me that on your system,

SELFAUTOLOC=/opt/luatex/standalone-mkiv-new/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin

Presumably SELFAUTOLOC is where the TeX binaries are. On Ubuntu,
they are in /usr/bin. It is hardly proper for an ordinary user, even one with
sudo permission, to make a directory /usr/bin/lib/luatex/lua/ for personal
stuff, but I have checked that doing so, besides giving one a thrill like
sneaking into the headmaster's office when he is not there, does work.
And that /usr/local/bin/lib/luatex/lua/ and $HOME/bin/lib/luatex/lua/ do not.

So, at present the bottom line seems to be: user-written Lua scripts
are OK for LuaTeX, but user-written C modules are OK only for those
with superuser status.