[luatex] Refuses to page break between section headings

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:19:42 CET 2015

On 9 March 2015 at 10:54, Jonas Olson <jolson at kth.se> wrote:
> Den 2015-03-09 10:55, David Carlisle skrev:
>>
>> This is unrelated to luatex.
>

> I see. Thank you so much for replying anyway. For the future, what would be
> the best place to take issues like this? Is it Stack Exchange?

Probably (although I'd guess it is a duplicate:-)

>> latex does not break a page after a section heading.
>

> How come it doesn't even break after the heading when the section is empty?
It has already typeset a section and prevented a page break, it can't go back
and re-allow a page break even if it had some way to know the section is empty.

> Is there a switch to change this behaviour?

No. Empty sections are not part of the design at all.

>> If (for some reason) you need a blank document just put some invisible
>> paragraph text
>> (an empty \mbox{} will do)
>>
>> so that latex can break after the blank paragraph.
>

> This unfortunately also creates an actual, empty line, which messes up the
> spacing. Is there something that takes up zero space, but still allows for a
> page break? Otherwise, I suppose I should try to make something that just
> looks like a header (bold, large, spacing around it) instead of actually
> being one.

I assumed this was a stub document and text was to be added later,
in which case spacing wouldn't matter much. If it isn't, thenprobably
\section is the wrong markup (a section with a heading but no text
doesn't make sense really)

However if you really want that you can force a page break with

\section{A}
\clearpage
\section{A}

> Best,