[luatex] Wrong placement of \int\limits in Lua(La)TeX

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Wed Mar 4 11:25:46 CET 2015

Am Tue, 3 Mar 2015 20:03:33 +0100 schrieb Simon May:

> Hello,
>
> with unicode-math and LuaLaTeX, the placement of the limits using
> \int\limits is incorrect. The limits are placed too far to the right. As
> discussed in the comments at
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/103925/51235
> this issue does not occur with XeTeX. There is also a bug at
> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=729
> that might refer to this same issue. Is this indeed a bug in LuaTeX and
> are there perhaps any workarounds?
> I'm using LuaTeX beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014/Debian) (rev 4971).
>
> Below is a demonstration of this issue. Producing the document will show
> the incorrect placement of the limits. Removing the line
> "\usepackage{unicode-math}" will show the expected output.
>

> \documentclass{scrartcl}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
> \begin{document}
> \[
> 	\int_a^b
> 	\int\limits_a^b
> \]
> \end{document}

The placement is certainly different than with xelatex or without
unicode-math. But I do find it difficult to describe exactly where
the symbol should placed and I often don't like the placement in
pdflatex. It also depends a bit on the actual font. You can always
move the subscripts a bit if you want:

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
%\setmathfont{Cambria Math}
\begin{document}
\[
	\int_a^b
	\int\limits_{\!\!\!\!a}^{b}
    \int\limits_{a}^{b}
    \int\limits_{a}^{b=5}
    \int\limits_{a=1}^{b}
    \int\limits_{a=1}^{b=5}
\]
\end{document}

> Out of interest: Using unicode-math (even without limits) does not
> produce the same output in the example as the same document without
> unicode-math. The the size of the integral sign and the spacing of the
> limits changes slightly. Is this intended/expected?

You are using different fonts. So differences are always possible.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/