[luatex] CIDSet in PDF/A documents

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jun 23 11:30:45 CEST 2015

On 6/23/2015 3:25 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Hi,
> at
>
>    http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=434
>
> Hans wrote
>
>   > pdf/a demands a cidset but we will forget about this till we find a
>   > proper example
>   >
>   > there is still some reported problem with some stream objects not
>   > properly being formatted cf. pdf/a but it is not clear what is
>   > going on there
>
> This message is now five years old.  Any new perceptions?
>
> I'm using a TrueType font (CharisSIL) and one of five PDF/A validators
> complains about a bad CIDSet.
>
> I created a small PDF file which only contains the string "abc",
> extracted the TTF from the PDF file, and disassembled it with TTX.
> Then I assembled the CIDSet manually according to the instructions
> given in the PDF/A-1 specification (ISO 19005-1).  I've got the same
> result as LuaTeX, hence it's unclear to me what's going wrong.
>
> The PDFtron
>
>    https://www.pdftron.com/
>
> validator sais
>
>    <Error Code="e_PDFA356" Message="CIDSet in subset font is incomplete" Refs="95, 101"/>
>
> I tend to believe that the validator is wrong.  On the other hand
> PDFtron offers software which creates PDF/A files and I can't imagine
> that their validator complains about their own products.

what does acrobat say

(about validators being ok: recently we had an issue with a validator
used by a publisher that couldn't handle xforms properly and in the
process of copying/flattening messed with the lines in a way that made
them all disappear for successive instances)

> Did anybody investigate?  The nasty thing is that PDF/A is for long
> term preservation and any file we create today has to comply with the
> standard unconditionally.  And for us TeX users, the fact that there
> are zillions of invalid PDF/A files around just because old versions
> of the Acrobat preflight tool ignored most errors, is not an excuse.
> We should do better.

or there should be a way to repair them (what else to do with the
zillion files .. regenerate them?)