[luatex] [tex-live] lltxplatform integration

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Jun 5 15:04:02 CEST 2015

> Isn't possible to use Luarocks to distribute binary modules?

A little remark so that everyone can follow: Luarocks compiles the
binaries on the user's machine, it doesn't distribute binaries per se.

> This
> unfortunately means that user would need to install luarocks and then
> modules by hand, but it's better than nothing.

Indeed, but I think it's way too complex for the average user... That
means your package will remain a marginal experiment (which is a pity).

> I have in mind two possible approaches:
>
> 1. use standard Luarocks and use modified module loader to load
> libraries. I used this approach in one answer on TeX.sx:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/219228/2891
>
> the problem is that we probably don't have access to paths used by
> Luarocks from LuaTeX, maybe we can extract them using
> io.popen("luarocks path","r") and parsing the output?

On my machine LuaTeX finds the rocks without changing anything... I have
Debian/Sid with a vanilla luarocks.

executing luarocks would mean having luarocks in the
shell_escape_commands, which is certainly not an option... But users
could add the path to CLUAINPUTS, I think that's the safest option.

> 2. use modified version of Luarocks and install binary packages
> directly in $CLUAINPUTS
>
> The first option seems more realistic to me.

Indeed...

Thank you,
--
Elie