[luatex] [tex-live] lltxplatform integration

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 5 02:37:49 CEST 2015

On 6/4/2015 9:25 AM, Élie Roux wrote:
>> Before we include any such .so, there should be an option in luatex
>> about loading .so's (maybe it already exists?), and the default has to
>> be off.  Otherwise our efforts at security are lost, so far as I can see.
>
> That's a difficult question...
>
>> Which means, it seems to me, that the feature is only useful for
>> particular users doing particular things, not for shipping stuff to be
>> used by everyone.
>
> It is useful for Windows users
>
>> As I understand it, ConTeXt gets the list of OS fonts by running a
>> script at install time, or really mtxrun --generate time.  I expect we
>> could figure out something similar for lualatex.  Ideally even re-using
>> the same file if it exists ...
>
> Sadly, Windows has a mechanism that stocks some installed fonts only in
> the registry, and not in a standard directory. Fonts installed this way
> are not handled by ConTeXt. There aren't many cases where users install
> fonts this way, but (AFAIK) the mechanism is quite recent and there
> might be more and more demand on this...

Speaking for context, I am not that interested in fonts that are
installed in fuzzy locations. When I use font from the system (which is
rare) I copy it to the tex/texmf-fonts tree of context so that I can be
sure that it only changes when I want that. When I need fonts for a
project I tend to buy the official versions (often one can then use some
5 copies on different machines i.e. other operating systems). I make
sure that my stuff works on windows (that I use on workstations) as well
as linux (on the servers that we use for running services).

So, it is quite unlikely that the file locator that context uses will
consult the registry. If I really have to I'd probably use the
commandline method and not a library (for which i need to keep up with
some api).

> There are currently two ways to access the registry in LuaTeX:
> lualatex-platform, etc.)
>   - calling the "reg" command
>
> The second is already forbidden by shell_escape_commands (which is
> good), and if you forbid the first one, this means that users will never
> be able to have all their fonts found by TeX.

Afaik users can configure what programs can run.

> The only other way this could be dealt with would be through fontconfig,
> but fontconfig doesn't support the fonts in the registry, doesn't plan
> to, and making a patch is not easy (fonts not in a standard directory
> doesn't fit well with fontconfig architecture).[1][2]
>
>> Overall, I think just about any alternative -- a script, a system call,
>> a whole separate program, whatever -- is preferable to a .so.
>
> This means that all modules people need will have to be statically
> linked with LuaTeX? This seems a difficult choice, and I'm not sure the
> LuaTeX team is willing to do this... This will also forbid experiments
> with harfbuzz, etc. Maybe there could be a list of allowed extensions,
> that would respect openin_any and openout_any (lualatex-platform does,
> it doesn't read nor write any file), and also removing "." from CLUAINPUTS ?

In fact, we might make some of the current modules dynamic loaded.
Personally I will only rely on an as small as possible set of libraries,
basically the tex kernel (luatex 2 might even be a real small kernel.)
With the swiglib project we aim at a predictable mechanism that can be
used for all platforms.