[luatex] fontdimen 2,3,4

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Sat Jan 17 19:39:48 CET 2015

Hi all,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 which includes luatex
beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014/Debian) (rev 4971) and noticed that I no
longer can control interword spacing with lualatex by modifying
fontdimen 2, 3, 4. More specifically, these parameters only affect the
additional space after puctuation signs, unless \frenchspacing is
enabled (then there is no effect at all). A minimal example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lipsum}

\begin{document}
\lipsum[1]

\fontdimen2\font=5\fontdimen2\font
\lipsum[1]
\end{document}

Needless to say the same file is correctly processed with pdflatex or
xelatex.

I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this behavior and if it
is specific for my Ubuntu version.

Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Faculty of History