[luatex] strange error message: unable to start the command lualatex -interaction=nonstopmode %.tex

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Thu Apr 16 17:38:53 CEST 2015

Am Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:40:56 +0000 schrieb Manthos:

> Dear All
> I installed MiKTeX 2.9 and TeXmaker to my new laptop (win7 64-bit) and I observed the following strange bahaviour.
> Every time I try to compile with luatex I get the following error
> "unable to start the command lualatex -interaction=nonstopmode %.tex".
> If I try to compile (the same document) with xelatex and the filename is in greek I get a similar error message
>
> "unable to start the command xelatex -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode %.tex"
> but if the filename is written in latin characters everything works fine!
> PdfLatex works fine in any case.
> I have exactly the same set-up (miktex - texmaker - win7) to my desktop where everything works smoothly therefore I assume that an update, to either a MiKTeX package or to Texmaker, causes the problem.

You should at first try to compile from the command line to find out
if the problem is in texmaker or miktex.

But imho using non-ASCII-chars in file names is asking for troubles.
You can spent a lot of time trying to figure out where the
interpretation of the file name went wrong.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/