[luatex] What are user-defined whatsit nodes?

Mico Loretan mico.loretan at mac.com
Thu Nov 27 13:29:04 CET 2014

Funny that the ZWNJ method should come up, as it so happens that I'm working on updating selnolig.

The next version will offer a choice of tree methods for suppressing ligatures. In addition to the current method (i.e.,insertion of a whatsit) I'm thinking of implementing two further methods: the ZWNJ method you describe (very flexible, but requires an Opentype font), and what I'll call the babel method for obvious reasons: insertion  of a discretionary that provides 0.03em of whitespace in case there's no line break. The babel method will work with any font (and, its name notwithstanding, doesn't require that babel be loaded).

In terms of programming, whereas the whatsit method works with the "ligaturing" callback, the two newer methods need to work with the "pre_linebreak_filter" callback, which takes an input and provides a return. (The ligaturing callback, by contrast, takes two inputs but does not provide a return value.)

I've subscribed to the Trennmuster list, by the way.

Best, Mico

Sent from my iPhone.