[luatex] How do you exit luatex?

Eduardo Ochs eduardoochs at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:48:29 CEST 2014

On 12 May 2014 10:30, "Michael Kropat" <mail at michael.kropat.name> wrote:

> I'm playing around with switching from xetex to luatex. On my first
attempt to invoke luatex, I encountered this peculiar behavior:

>     $ luatex no-such-file.tex
>     This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013061708 (rev 4627)
>     restricted \write18 enabled.
>     ! I can't find file `no-such-file.tex'.
>     <*> no-such-file.tex
>
>     Please type another input file name: ^C! I can't find file
`no-such-file'.
>     <*> no-such-file.tex
>
>     Please type another input file name:
>
> How do I break out of this loop?
>
> I'm encountering this behavior using the TeX Live 2013 version of luatex,
running under Linux Mint.

> Michael

Try ^D to send an EOF to luatex...
That always works for me - another solution, which usually works but
depends on the paths being well-configured, is to type "x" as the input
file name... this makes (lua)tex read a file called "x.tex", which has
commands to make TeX exit, and is a standard hack described in a chapter of
the TeXbook called "Running TeX", if I remember correctly. .. you may be
able to find it with "locate /x.tex".

Sorry if there's anything wrong, I'm on a cellphone here -
  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs