[luatex] Luaotfload still (or again?) broken in current TeXLive 2013 (frozen)

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Thu May 8 18:57:11 CEST 2014

> > The part "without user intervention" is obviously not true, because
> > for the umpteenth time I had to run a manual
> >
> > luaotfload-tool --update
> >
> > because luaotfload complained that it could not find some latin
> > modern font despite the fact that the document was *not* using any
> > of the latin modern fonts at all. In fact the "minimal" test
> > document I used to reproduce the error was *empty*.
>
> If you are using fontspec it would try to load latin modern at
> latest at the \normalfont command in \begin{document}.

I *never* use(d) Latin Modern. In *no* document.

In fact I only started to use LaTeX at all when it became possible to
use different (OTF) typefaces together with Microtype.

> I would recommend that you make better bug reports. luaotfload is
> obviously working fine for quite a number of people, so there is
> something special to your document or your system.

The bug that I described is found hundreds of times by Google in dozens
of LaTeX "forums", mailinglists, newsgroups, web sites etc. all over the
world. And it seems to keep re-surfacing like the monster of Loch Ness,
in a totally unpredictible way.

And it's always the same: After some update of the lualatex package,
luaotfload complains it can't find lmodern, even if the document does
not at all use lmodern.

> A minimal document and log-files are needed.

The minimal document was *empty*. And of course I have work to do, so I
just ran that update tool manually and got on. So there are no log
files any more.

> > A luaotfload-tool --version yields:
>
> luaotfload is about system fonts. So you should also mention your
> OS.

I never use "system" fonts. All my OTF typefaces are in texmf-local.

And again: The text document was *empty*. No reference to *any* typeface
at all, no content.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang