[luatex] Luatex 0.79.0 announcement

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Mar 31 01:10:11 CEST 2014

On 3/29/2014 9:18 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:

>>> because it was not okay (too much fuzziness and dead slow too) ...
>>
>> Sad to hear that. I thought the patch was about removing duplicates when
>> building the initial glyph table and didn't expected these severe side
>> effects...
>
> I don't know if we are talking about the same "issues" (there have
> been plenty of problems with building the font database), but building
> the font database dropped from 45 minutes to less than a minute on my
> machine. (OK, half an hour was due to a single font.) Reading the
> whole font for each font in the system when building the database was
> an overkill.
>
> Some problems could be fixed per-font during font loading though. I'm
> just speculating because I don't know the code. But doing an O(n^2)
> comparison of glyph names on a font that covers the whole Unicode
> should be avoided in principle.

another aspect is that once a glyph would be tagged as 'foo' and that
goes though the system it gets harder to figure out what it originally
was; using indices throughout the system is more robust (accompanied by
some lua magic) but that is a rather intrusive solution (i have some
ideas on that and will experiment with that later this year as it is not
something we want to mess with around tl freeze time)