[luatex] Lua is removing hyperbolic functions

Dirk Laurie dirk.laurie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:27:14 CEST 2014

> But I'm wondering why one wants to remove the hyperbolic functions at
> all.  Don't they work properly?  If the sole purpose is to make the
> math library as small as possible, I think that it's better to disable
> the code instead of removing it.  What I have in mind is something
> like "#ifdef HYPERBOLIC" or similar.  The code can be re-activated
> easily then.  Or are the hyperbolic functions too hard to maintain?

Roberto Ierusalimschy has given two reasons.

1. "I must confess that I did an entire course of Eletrical Engineering
and have no recollection of ever met them."
<http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-04/msg00144.html>

2. "In other words, the main reason for removing those functions were not
to gain 500 bytes, but to increase conceptual integrity."
<http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-07/msg00384.html>