[luatex] \pdf at escapestring is non-injective

Valentinas Kriaučiukas valius.kria at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 23:27:08 CET 2014

Hi all,

I do not know if it is a bug, so write to this list.

While compiling one Russian text with unicode arguments of \bibitem
and \cite commands, I received warnings about duplicate destinations,
like

> LuaTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier (name{cite.11 at -1})
> has been already used, duplicate ignored

Digging deeper, I found that \pdf at escapestring function is not
injective; that is, it produces the same output for distinct
arguments; for example
\pdf at escapestring {cite.1Ч1 at -1}
and
\pdf at escapestring {cite.1Э1 at -1}
both return
cite.11 at -1

This produces the same destination marks for different bibliography
items and \cite links (also made using this function) goes to wrong
places.

I am running
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013070106 (rev 4627)
from debian sid (texlive 2013.20140215-1)

Valentinas