[luatex] glyph width with palt + kern features

Philipp Gesang philipp.gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Dec 7 23:31:45 CET 2014

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

···<date: 2014-11-02, Sunday>···<from: Hironori KITAGAWA>···

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 17:17:39 +0100
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Hironori KITAGAWA <
> > h_kitagawa2001 at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> >
> > > However, the output by LuaTeX r5074 + luaotfload v2.5
> > > (palt_kern_lotf.pdf) does not so. I also tested with
> > > context -fmt=luatex-plain, but the result is same.
>
> > $> mtxrun --script plain palt_kern.tex
> >
> > The pdf looks like palt_kern_xe.tex
> > with luatex experimental
>
> Yes, I confirmed that "mtxrun --script plain" works.
> But, in my PC, only "mtxrun --script plain" produces
> same output with XeTeX.

The default feature set defined by Context uses base mode, as
does the plain fontloader. I’ve adapted your example to show all
four combinations:

    https://bitbucket.org/phg/lua-la-tex-tests/src/tip/cnt-features-12-palt.tex

As you can see, the kern feature does not have an apparent effect
in node mode, whereas base mode resembles the output of Xetex.

The same is true of Luaotfload: Define the fonts in base mode and
you should be fine. However, Luaotfload has always been
defaulting to node mode, hence the difference from the other two
formats that use the same fontloader.

Best,
Philipp