[luatex] Missing catcode info when \tracingassigns positivie

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 18:54:38 CET 2014

On 05/12/2014 10:48, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 12/4/2014 10:56 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
>
>> this deliberate or a bug? If it's deliberate, what's the reasoning: it's
>> tricky for doing a diff against  pdfTeX log.
>
> btw, you cannot expect luatex to be byte-by-byte log compatible ... we
> might as wel decide to rewrite parts of the log system some time
>
> Hans

Each engine is different, and indeed the reason we have various engines
is for functionality changes: it's not realistic to expect the logs to
be the same. When checking code between engines what is useful is
knowing what to expect to be different because of the engines so you can
focus on any real issues. Engine differences can be normalised out to
some extent, which can then be combined with some notes for places
that's not the situation. To do that it's useful to have an idea about
when the changes are deliberate: I've raised on the list precisely
because I don't know what the expectation is here. With other log
differences some have turned out to be deliberate and other cases not.
--
Joseph Wright