[luatex] Hash tokens meaning

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed May 29 18:04:33 CEST 2013

> That was my understanding of reading, for instance, the wiki page.

  Is there any particular place on the Wikipedia page that made you
think that?  It's always worth improving.  The very first sentence reads

	LuaTeX is a TeX-based computer typesetting system which started
	as a version of pdfTeX with a Lua scripting engine embedded.

where the expression "TeX-based" can possibly be misunderstood to mean
that LuaTeX is a layer on top of TeX, but the end of the sentence does
call it "a version of pdfTeX" and the first section of the article
("Objective of the project") should clear any misunderstanding that the
phrase "TeX-based" may have introduced.

  The first sentence of http://wiki.luatex.org/ describes LuaTeX as
"a typesetting engine derived from TeX"; I'm not really sure offhand
which expression is better.

> If it's a collection of macros for simplifying life with TeX, then
> it would "translate" to TeX what I write.

  Just to make things overwhelmingly clear: you've now understood that
LuaTeX is not a collection of macros for simplifying life with TeX,
right?

	Arthur