[luatex] Hash tokens meaning

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:47:54 CEST 2013

2013/5/29 Sensei <senseiwa at gmail.com>

> On 5/28/13 9:05pm, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 06:29:15PM +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>>
>>> Are you a troll?
>>>

>> No, he is someone trying to understand TeX without making any attempt to
>> understand it, may be there is a word for that.
>>

> No, I am just looking at the symbols produced in a tex document (see
> below), trying to see if there is some structure that I can relate to, for
> example names (along with mangling) in an object file.
>
>  hm ... let's see.
pdftex/xetex/luatex read a tex file (high level lang) and produces a pdf
file, so most direct relation between input and output
is the
character. Very ofter all the other high level markup are flatted into
(font,size,char) streeams (of course there is a way to put outline in pdf
one to one to section of tex).
For example with tha plain format
H\bye
produces a pdf with the H character with a certain font  and hence, from a
certain point of view this is the symbol produced.
You can see how *tex works from the external   with
\tracingall H\bye
but I believe that you cannot see all the details down to the pdf.
Probably you can also play with the lua callbacks to print intermediate
values,
but if you want to see how the tokens are produced , managed and how they
go into the pdf,
it's better to run a debugged version of luatex. Starting from here you can
have a better vision also
on which lua callbacks are involved.

--
luigi