[luatex] Support for Thai in LuaTeX

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 14 16:46:10 CEST 2013

Hi,
On 05/14/2013 04:16 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hyphenation patterns could in principle do both simultaneously, but at
> one point (at 64 or 256 characters in LuaTeX) TeX runs into a problem
> of "too long word to hyphenate" and simply stops. (I still believe

The 256 char limit is there to simplify coding a bit, and because Hans
and I wanted to have a limit somewhere; at that point in time that
seemed like the thing-to-do.

But there is no real need for that limit. If you recompile luatex with
MAX_WORD_LEN in lang/texlang.h adjusted, you can hyphenate words up to
about 1.5MB without any other changes to the source code (the limit
depends on the C stack, as currently it uses a static array which
resides on the call stack).

However, if you do this, you will run into two other problems:
1. no spaces means no flexibility in the line at all (this should be
fixable with font expansion or box postprocessing, though)
2. the paragraph pathfinder (i.e. the code tries to minimize badness in
the line breaking process) will run into its limits, resulting in
suboptimal paragraphs even if problem 1. is fixed (and is a lot harder a
problem to solve).

See the attached pdf of a single 230kb-word hyphenated over 40 pages to
illustrate the issue (\hfuzz=9pt, otherwise all lines would have had
black boxes).

Best wishes,
Taco