[luatex] mkluatexfontdb devours memory

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue May 14 09:04:59 CEST 2013

Hi Élie,

Élie Roux wrote:
> The new version of luaotfload is available here:
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/luatex/generic/luaotfload (I
> don't know if it reached texlive or not), can you test
>
> luaotfload-tool --dry-run --update --force --verbose=5 --log=stdout

Did this, it runs through and outputs e.g.

luaotfload | db: would have been loading “/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Loma.ttf”
luaotfload | db: would have been loading “/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Loma.ttf”
luaotfload | db: would have been loading
“/usr/share/fonts/OTF/Diablindall.ttf”
luaotfload | db: would have been loading
“/usr/share/fonts/OTF/Diablindall.ttf”
luaotfload | db: would have been loading “/usr/share/fonts/OTF/SpArFgRg.ttf”
luaotfload | db: would have been loading “/usr/share/fonts/OTF/SpArFgRg.ttf”

The normal run with luaotfload-tool now stops at:

luaotfload | db: loading font
“/usr/share/fonts/TTF/TlwgMono-BoldOblique.ttf”
luaotfload | db: loading font
“/usr/share/fonts/TTF/TlwgMono-BoldOblique.ttf”
luaotfload | db: loading font “/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Loma.ttf”
luaotfload | db: loading font “/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Loma.ttf”
luaotfload | db: loading font “/usr/share/fonts/OTF/Diablindall.ttf”
^C^C^C^C

Insterestingly, now every fonts seems to be loaded twice – is it a bug
during loading or only reporting it twice?
However, it doesn't seem to make sense that it could load once but not
twice, so I am so free as to assume that the first line indicates the
next-to-be-loaded font and only when it is really in work, the second
line is reported? Concluding from this, I blacklisted Diablindall.ttf
now and everything is fine, so we found the culprit!

Maybe the output of luaotfload-tool could be changed in a way like:

luaotfload | db: next font to load: XYZ.ttf
luaotfload | db: successfully loaded font XYZ.ttf

Élie, thank you very much for all your time and effort, it would have
been very hard for me to figure this out by myself. Also thanks to all
the outher guys who helped here!

cheers
Arno