[luatex] [lltx] Speeding up otf lua cache file load

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sat Mar 30 23:44:12 CET 2013

Hi Reinhard,

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2013-03-30 at 18:15:01 +0100, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>
>   > That's actually an ÒoldÓ dream of mine: I'd like to be able to
>   > automatically produce a format for any given document (up to
>   > \begin{document}) which is changed if and only if the preamble is
>   > changed. LuaTeX seems to be the simplest way to do this via some Lua
>   > action. However, so far I wasn't even able to produce a format dump on
>   > LuaTeX. (I'm trying to do this by now using the myformat.ltx and
>   > mylatexformat.ltx, but they produce errors when used with LuaTeX. I
>   > still have a lot to learn for producing formats, I guess É)
>
> Hi Arno,
> copy lualatex.ini to your current working directory, rename it to
> myformat.ini and run
>
>    luatex -ini --progname=lualatex myformat.ini
>
> Create a symlink myformat -> luatex in the bin directory.
>
> If this works, add your stuff to myformat.ini and create the format
> file again.

That works so far, but it's not flexible at all. What I want is to load
a format, load additional definitions, and then dump everything.
However, I just found out that this is a known bug, discussed here, on
SX and there's also a tracker item:

http://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2012-January/003375.html
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/46672/custom-luatex-format-file
http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=746

As the guys write there, it works with pdftex (and also XeTeX, for me)
but not with LuaTeX. I also tested with 0.74 just to be sure, but the
error is still present.

cheers
Arno