[luatex] Glyph nodes

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Mar 11 14:09:14 CET 2013

On 03/08/2013 08:31 PM, Florêncio Neves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand how to create a glyph node containing a character
> specified by its Unicode number (by saying “node.new("glyph")” and
> setting its “char” field).  Now, is it possible (or going to be
> possible eventually) to create a node containing a glyph that lives in
> the font's private area and therefore has no Unicode?
>
> Looking into, say, the TG Pagella Math font, I see that its
> \rightarrow has an extensible variant, whose right extreme is a
> component named “arrowright.rt”, and I would like to insert this glyph
> in a document.

It depends on how the macro package loads the font glyphs that do
not have a Unicode slot.

ConTeXt, for example, loads such glyphs in the PUA slots and maintains
a lua table that maps glyph names to slot indices. That allows one
to write

	\fontchar{arrowright.rt}

in the input stream. In the end, that simply produces a glyph node
with a char value somewhere in the PUA.

Best wishes,
Taco