[luatex] detailed 'diagnostic' of MikTeX/Lua*/fontspec issues

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 23:09:14 CEST 2013

On 6/29/2013 4:57 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2013-06-29 at 14:24:38 -0400, Evan Cooch wrote:
>
> Evan,
> your report is quite detailed, but it's helpful for non-MiKTeX LuaTeX
> users to know the version number of LuaTeX.  It's most important to
> know at least which version of Lua is used.  I don't have Windows and
> thus can't check myself.

LuaTeX -- version beta-0.76.0-2013062419 (rev 4627)

>   > For a variety of reasons, luaotfload doesn't 'find' fonts in TEXMF, so
>   > you need to hack lualibs-dir.lua, as per
>   >
>   > http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/47156/luaotfload-cant-find-fonts
>   >
>   > Basically, you add
>   >
>   > P("(")  / "%%(" +
>   > P(")")  / "%%)" +
>   >
>   > to the file, around line 95. The brackets will be escaped and
>   > therefore the fonts in the "program files (x86)/miktex" folder can
>   > be found.I've had to do this on *all* my other machines with MikTeX
>   > (6 different machines). Has worked perfectly on all of them.
>
> If you have to add these lines around line 95, you certainly have an
> older version of lualibs.  In the latest version this is around line
> 150.

Indeed, for my older version of lua* (which did and still works
perfectly, by the way!), this is what I had to do. And as per my OP, I
did the same thing
in the new version, down around line 150.

> If you are using a recent LuaTeX from May 2013 (with Lua 5.2), you
> need the latest version of lualibs and maybe many other Lua dependent
> packages.  If you are using an older version (with Lua 5.1) it's not a
> good idea to use the new libraries.
>
> From
>
>   > miktex-lua51-bin-2.9 (which is marked for removal)
>   > miktex-lua52-bin-2.9 (which will be installed in its place)
>
> I deduce that your LuaTeX is up-to-date, but I'm not sure.

its as up-to-date as I can make it from the files installed using the
MikTeX update routines.