[luatex] recent lua* updates | MikTeX | broken again... ;-)

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 18:41:37 CEST 2013

So, took my 'test machine' (Windows 7, MikteX 2.9), and tried out the
latest Lua* updates (lots of updates - libs, binaries, many things...).
And, said 'updates' completely breaks functioning system -- files not
only don't compile, they yield nasty errors with words like 'fatal' in
them. ;-)

Consider following simple MWE:

\documentclass[11pt,letterpaper]{article}

\usepackage{unicode-math}
   \setmathfont{Asana Math}

\begin{document}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent in
tincidunt nulla. Donec quis laoreet est. Aenean vitae est felis, a
venenatis magna. Mauris semper bibendum vulputate. Etiam bibendum quam
ut erat rutrum consequat.

\begin{equation}
\frac{dN}{dt}=rN\left(1-\frac{N}{K}\right)
\end{equation}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi eget
dolor ac diam interdum volutpat. Cras luctus congue nibh, at dictum
nulla iaculis quis.

\end{document}

  When I try to compile the file (from command line, or otherwise), I get

Command Line:   lualatex.exe --shell-escape "lua-mwe.tex"
Startup Folder: C:\Users\egc\Desktop\downloads\mwe files

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013062419 (rev 4627)
  \write18 enabled.

(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
LuaLaTeX failed to create a pdf file.
For possible explanations start the command from the Command Prompt...

<fyi: trying from the command prompt yields the same message>.

So, now we'e back to figuring out which of the 6-8 'updates' (along, or
together) is not playing nice....