[luatex] babel, fontspec und lualatex

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jul 26 12:59:55 CEST 2013

···<Datum: Friday, 26. July 2013>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···

> Am Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:19:23 +0200 schrieb Javier Bezos:
>
> > Ulrike,
> >
> >> The new babel redefines the \TeX command and surrounds it by
> >> \textlatin and this reveals a bug:
> >
> > Do you know if it works with the old (3.8) babel? (I've not tried
> > it out yet -- just back from holidays). I have not changed this part
> > (afaik :-)) because I'm still investigating how to fix the whole
> > \text<script> stuff in a backward compatible way.
>
> miktex still has Babel <v3.8m>, so I could test: There is the same
> problem, the fontdimen is 0 and there is to much space between X and
> n.
>
> Imho the correct solution would be that luatex/luaotfload sets
> \fontdimen1 for italic fonts to a sensible positiv value.

What’s “a sensible value” if italic correction is done on node
level? There’s tfmdata.properties.autoitalicamount and
tfmdata.parameters.slantfactor if you need the information [0].
We could certainly set further fontdimensions in addition to the
one we do already (no. 8), but if we spend time on that part then
why not supply the entire list in one go? Someone knowledgeable
about font parameters and how they translate to the original
values would have to supply the code, though, especially when it
comes to the more delicate parts described in appendix G.

Best,
Philipp

[0] luaotfload-fonts-ext.lua
    https://github.com/phi-gamma/luaotfload/blob/master/luaotfload-fonts-ext.lua#L19