[luatex] Italic font sizes shrinking after the first page?

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Aug 25 22:21:40 CEST 2013

···<date: 2013-08-24, Saturday>···<from: Phong Nguyen>···

> When I use the font Arno Pro, italics text becomes smaller than the normal
> size after the first page in LuaLaTeX. This behavior does not happen when I
> use other fonts (e.g. Garamond Premier Pro, Palatino, Times Ten LT Std). It
> also does not happen when I use XeTeX.
>
> I have a quick Lorem Ipsum-type test case with source, log and PDF output
> here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sqyxxxvfihtjlkx/Bn0cNTgEoY
>
> I am running LuaTeX beta-0.76.0-2013061817 on MacTeX 2013.
>
> Any suggestions?

Interesting case.  If there are multiple design sizes available,
the name resolver will base its choice on whose design size is
closest to the requested size. What happens is that Latex
requests the font at its design size without explicitly stating
which design size that is.  Luaotfload picks the first one
matching the other criteria (name, style; in your case the
“caption” size) and uses that -- at its design size, which may
not match the size Latex expects ...

To reproduce it in plain:

    \directlua { config = { luaotfload = { resolver = "normal" } } }

    \input luaotfload.sty

    %% no size requested -> size = -1000
    \font \foo = "name:Arno Pro/i"

    \foo

    foo bar baz

    \bye

With the current implementation there is no clean way to
determine which of the options is the “unmarked” size. In Adobe
collections it appears to be the one without a “prefmodifiers”
entry, but that’s not universal: EB Garamond and LM don’t follow
this rule.

I have pushed a workaround that handles said Adobe fonts, you can
test the git version. A real solution would require extensive
modifications which is on the roadmap for version 2.4 [1] but
will take some time. In the meantime, I suggest using postscript
names or file names when referring to fonts.

Best,
Philipp

[1] https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/118